"For Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread."

Saturday, January 30, 2010

utterances

I'm a big fan of George Herbert and John Donne. If your'e interested in religous poetry, I recommend these old guys. They're great. Much like Herbert when he was young exclaimed "When I grow up I want to write religious poetry like John Donne," I have an increasing interest to do the same. It seems writing things does, in a way, to me, mean more and is more understandable and many many other reasons than just saying it. or whatever. I guess its the same reason anyone writes. Even if you don't like God or necessarily believe he exists, feedback is still welcomed.


Utterances








Lord



To utter Your name
is to desecrate it
distort it
deform it

defame it,

For my tongue is a railroad spike
not used for Your continuing methods
but for death and fornication.

To allow my utterances is pure grace,
to allow my silence while you are hammered on the cross
with mouths, my mouth,
is grace.

Lay Your track Lord.

I'm an engineer
lacking skill
surveying the land
questioning.

I am an orator who has lost his language,
and like Babel
I stare at my sky scraper unable
to explain it
or praise it.

It must exist alone
and I must
walk away

from it,
following those vaguely familiar
tracks
returning long way round
to a vaguely familiar home

following sunsets
and the sounds of birds
the mouth of the river speaking
more perfect than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment